Residential Fence

Residential Fences

Before building a fence in Hopkins, you must have a fence permit. Submit a fence permit application online, or print out the Fence Permit Application (PDF) and return with $35 permit fee to Hopkins City Hall.


The following is a summary of zoning code requirements for residential fences in Hopkins. For complete information, see Hopkins Development Code Article 6 Section 102-660 (PDF). 


Boundary line fences shall be located entirely upon the private property of the person constructing or causing the construction of such fence. 

Fences must be set back a minimum 7 feet from any lot line abutting an alley. 

The zoning administrator is authorized to require that any applicant for a fence permit or any property owner with an existing fence to establish the boundary lines of their property by means of a property survey produced by a registered land surveyor. 

Fences located in recorded easements are at the sole responsibility and risk of the subject property owner, and the cost of any removal, relocation, or replacement caused by any activity permitted in the recorded easement is the sole responsibility of the property owner. 

Fence Height

In neighborhood (N and NX) zones, the maximum allowed fence height depends on its location in relationship to the front of the existing principal structure (house) excluding porches or entry features. 

Fences located between the front of the principal structure and the front property line shall not exceed 4 feet in height, subject to Hopkins Development Code Article 8 Section 102-810 (b) - Visibility at Intersections (PDF)

Fences located between the front of the principal structure and rear property line shall not exceed 6 feet in height. 

Enclosing Swimming Pools

Fences enclosing swimming pools must have a minimum height of 4 feet. 


Fences up to 4 feet in height in N- or NX- zones may be 100% opaque. Fences greater than 4 feet in height in N- or NX- zones may not exceed 75% opacity, leaving at least 25% of the fence open. 

The opacity of a fence is determined by calculating the average openness from the top to the bottom of the fence structure over a distance of 50 feet.

Any fence along the side of an N- or NX-zoned lot abutting a state or county road may be 100% opaque. 

Examples of Wood Fence
Chain Link Fence


A fence must be constructed in a substantial, workmanlike manner of substantial material widely accepted in the fencing industry and reasonably suitable for the purpose for which the fence is intended.

  • Link Fences: Link fences will be constructed so that the barbed end is at the bottom of the fence and the knuckle end is at the top.
  • Fence support: The finished side of all fences (i.e., the side of the fence without posts or visual structural support elements) must face outward, toward the abutting lot or right-of-way.
  • Barbed Wire: Barbed wire fences are permitted only in Industrial Zones. (See zoning maps on the Hopkins Zoning page.)
  • No plywood boards, canvas, plastic sheeting, metal sheeting or similar materials shall be used for any fence construction.
  • Electric boundary fences are not permitted within the city.


Your fence must be kept in good condition. Poorly kept fences will not be allowed. Any fence which becomes dangerous to public safety, health or welfare will be considered a public nuisance and the City may start proper proceedings for an abatement.