Leaf & Yard Waste Pick-Up
For Hopkins’ Residential Garbage Customers Only
Yard waste is defined as leaves with twig stems no longer than 4 inches, grass clippings, green pliable vines, and similar garden waste. Request forms include:
Free Yard Waste Pick-Up
City Service Area Resident Free Bag Pick Up
Free fall leaf/yard waste bag pick-up will be on your regular garbage day October 24 through November 17. You do not need to schedule this pick-up.
If you live in Bellgrove, Hobby Acres, Park Ridge and Interlachen Park:
There will not be free leaf and yard waste bag pick-up in these areas. The City provides free street leaf and yard waste pick-up in your area using front-end loaders and dump trucks.
Pick-up in these areas will be November 7-10. Refer to schedule below for your neighborhood’s pick-up day:
- Bellgrove: Monday, November 7
- Interlachen Park: Tuesday, November 8 (Meadowbrook Road up to and including Maple Hill Road)
- Park Ridge: Wednesday, November 9
- Hobby Acres: Wednesday, November 9
- Interlachen Park: Thursday, November 10 (Interlachen Road up to but not including to Blake Road)
Place leaves in loose, unbagged piles in the street along the curb line. Leaves should be placed on the street no later than 7 a.m. on your scheduled pick-up day and no earlier than the day before your scheduled pick-up day.
For Hopkins Crossroad, Minnetonka Boulevard, Oakridge Road, 5th Avenue North, Minnetonka Mills Road and Blake Road residents: Due to county restrictions and high traffic levels, residents will have free leaf and yard waste bag pick-up October 25 through November 18.
NOTE: The last week of all yard waste bag pick up will be November 15-18.
Yard Waste Pick-Up Guidelines
- Yard waste is collected on Thursdays. Residents must call 952-939-1382 to request yard waste bag pickup by 2 p.m. on Wednesday or submit a request here.
- Every bag must have a yard waste sticker affixed to it, facing the street or alley so it's visible to drivers.
- Stickers are $3 each and may be purchased in person at City Hall or Public Works. To have stickers sent to you in the mail (minimum of 10) you can call 952-939-1382 and the cost will be placed on your utility bill.
- Yard waste must be bagged. Maximum size bag is 55-gallon, weighing no more than 40 pounds. Yard Waste must be bagged in a compostable bag; either paper bags or BPI certified compostable plastic bags.
- Place yard waste at the normal refuse collection site, at least four feet away from your refuse and recycling containers.
- Items not accepted include:
- Animal feces (please clean up after pets before raking your lawn)
- Long twigs
- Stump grindings
- Sod waste
- Shrub clippings
- Woody vines
- No garden products such as melons, pumpkins, squash, potatoes, apples, and tomatoes, should be placed in yard waste bags. Place unused garden products such as these into your regular garbage container.